Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
What is Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)?
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a refundable tax credit for low- and moderate-income workers. If you qualify, you can use the credit to reduce the taxes you owe and maybe increase your refund.
Who is eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit?
- You must have at least $1 of earned income (pensions and unemployment don't count).
- Your investment income must be $3,650 or less.
- You can't claim the earned income tax credit if you're married filing separately.
- You must be age 25 but under 65 at the end of the year.
- You are a U.S. citizen or resident alien.
How to claim this credit?
- File IRS Form 1040 US Individual Income Tax Return or Form 1040 SR US Tax Return for Seniors
- If you have a qualifying child, you must also file the Schedule EIC (Form 1040 or 1040-SR), Earned Income Credit
For more information, visit the Internal Revenue Service's Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) site.