How to Apply for a Duplicate California Driver's License
Ways of making an application
- Complete a Driver's License (DL) or ID Card Application online
- Make an appointment before visiting a DMV office. Appointment can be made at www.dmv.ca.gov or by calling 1-800-777-0133.
- Visit a DMV office, where you will:
- Provide your social security number (SSN).
- Verify your identity with an acceptable identity document. Your current name needs to match the name on the identity document.
- Present acceptable residency documents (if you have never had a California DL/ID card).
- Pay the application fee.
- Have your thumbprint scanned.
- Have your photo taken.
- If you want to apply for a REAL ID, you must also provide proof of your identity, SSN, and two proofs of residency from the list of acceptable REAL ID documents.
Note: Your name must match on all documents, including your SSN card. If your name doesn't match on your SSN card, you will need to go to the nearest Social Security office to present documentation to change your name on your SSN card, and then go to a DMV field office to apply for your driver's license.
Is there a fee?
For more information, visit Requirements for a California Driver License - California DMV